News Archives - January 2007
- New Gallery Album
- Posted by kach on January 31, AD 2007 @ 2:38 AM
- We have a new album, City Layouts, in the Caesar IV gallery. There are now 20 screenshots of different cities. The currently featured screenshot is Reginasunrae's Caralis, from the thread that started it all. If you are looking for layout ideas, this album has some great examples. Better still, submit some screenshots of your cities.
You'll find more information in this thread.
- Caesar IV Online
- Posted by kach on January 29, AD 2007 @ 9:21 PM
- Season IX is over. The gold medal in both high population contests went to nicjaytee. Boudica won the Caesarea time trial again, but this time in 1 year and 1 month. joppl66 got gold in Alexandria (high score) and Londinium (most denarii). PeHaSys won the gold for Carthago (high score).
There is a new leader in the Empire, PantherX with 12 cities and over 275,000 population.
Season X has started, and it looks like Pecunia has already grabbed first place in the time trial.
- Production Rates
- Posted by kach on January 28, AD 2007 @ 3:31 AM
- The information on production rates has been collated at last. This involved a lot of tedious counting, and some fancy formatting by Pecunia. The page has production figures for both resources and manufactured goods, and tells you the optimum resource gatherer to factory ratios. The effects of god bonuses (also called dedications) are covered too.
- Argos and Lugdunum
- Posted by kach on January 27, AD 2007 @ 3:31 AM
Do you normally delete any trees that are in your way? mp747474 doesn't. His latest uploaded cities are Argos and Lugdunum. The trees don't just line the streets in Argos, they grow in the streets. Check them out.
- New Poll
- Posted by kach on January 26, AD 2007 @ 2:06 AM
- This week's poll is about buildings, specifically temples. Do you use them? They look great, they cover more houses than shrines do, but how many of us build them?
Last week we asked about the weather. It looks like some players still have issues, and some just don't like it. More were in favour than against it though.
No, I like it (50)
No, I guess I've got used to it (9)
Yes, definitely! (27)
Yes, my machine still locks up sometimes (21)
I didn't know I could do that (10)
If you still aren't sure how to disable the weather, you can find the information in the list of fixes for the 1.2 patch.
Open caesariv.ini in a text editor. To disable weather, change the line "Weather 1" to "Weather 0" in the caesariv.ini file. If the "Weather" setting is not in the INI, add it manually.
To see the results of previous polls, go here.
- More Completed Cities
- Posted by kach on January 24, AD 2007 @ 5:55 PM
mp747474 has uploaded another two completed cities, Condate Riedonum and Tingis, both played on hard. In Tingis, mp747474 has partially walled the industries and farms forming an effective defence against raiders, without compromising the housing evolution if a tower is destroyed.
You can find the cities here, in the completed cities section of the downloads.
- Lugdunum Using Bribes
- Posted by kach on January 23, AD 2007 @ 3:29 PM
- We have a new walkthrough available for Lugdunum (Empire tier 3, economic). In this one I bribed my way past the invasions; the alternative is the prefect and tower defence used by mouse.
This was another scenario where the housing layout worked, but I didn't manage the industries very well. You can read about it here.
- Changes to Mod Uploads
- Posted by kach on January 21, AD 2007 @ 3:06 PM
- If you've looked at the latest upload in the mods section, you may have noticed something new. Pecunia has added a screenshot field. Now you can attach an image to show off your mods. Just make sure you follow these guidelines:
Cannot be more than 350 pixels wide and 350 pixels high. The file size can not be more than 50 KB. Only the following image formats will be accepted: GIF, JPG, and PNG.
- More Plaza Tiles
- Posted by kach on January 20, AD 2007 @ 4:17 AM
Belladonna has uploaded ten tile designs. There are several marble and slate designs, and a striking mosaic. You can find them here in the modifications section of the downloads.
- Friday Poll
- Posted by kach on January 19, AD 2007 @ 1:48 AM
- This week the question is about the weather in Caesar IV. Many find it annoying. Now that we can turn it off, how many of you will actually do that?
Last week's poll gave us feedback on the walkthroughs. Most people find them useful; it's good to know that they are worth the effort. You can find the results of our previous polls here.
- Version 1.2
- Posted by kach on January 17, AD 2007 @ 11:35 PM
- Yes, it's the long-awaited 1.2 patch. A few of the fixes that will be really welcome are:
- Fix for crash opening trade routes on certain hardware configurations
- Fix for ATI x600 family lockups with weather and selecting trade depots and ports
- Added INI setting where build buttons will close after choosing a building to build
- Added INI option for disabling weather
Your can read the complete list of fixes here. All language versions seem to be available, and there is a specific download for anyone with the patched US 1.1 version. All downloads are available from Sierra here.
- Caesar IV Online
- Posted by kach on January 17, AD 2007 @ 1:21 PM
- There are some new names in the gold medal winners for Season VIII that has just finished. mitret won three gold, two for high score and one for most denarii. Grumpus took gold in the time trial (it was Londinium again), and newcomers dsavas and lizzy won gold for the high population maps.
Season IX is running for another 11 days. Give it a try. The time trial (Caesarea this season) is an easy place to start.
- Londinium Walkthrough
- Posted by kach on January 16, AD 2007 @ 2:49 PM
- Before Duan Xuan went off last week, he uploaded a walkthrough for Londinium (Republic tier 7, military), played on hard. He has supplied a detailed account of how he won the scenario, with suggestions for alternative ways of winning.
He completed the city before the large Gaulish invasion, so it wasn't a military solution. Check it out here.
- Betriacum for Everyone
- Posted by kach on January 15, AD 2007 @ 1:44 PM
- If you haven't been able to try Anaxamenes' scenario Betriacum because you have the international version of Caesar IV, you are in luck. Bagarius has customised the scenario for the international 1.01 version.
You can download it here.
- Updated Security Information
- Posted by kach on January 13, AD 2007 @ 3:12 PM
Angel Pecunia has updated the security info page. The guesswork has been removed; you can now calculate how many towers you can have on the city wall before your security rating drops below 100.
You didn't know that fortifying your city with towers could reduce the security rating? You definitely need to read this. If you want more background information, you can read about the investigations in this thread Towers, Protection, Security, over at TM.
- Friday Poll Again
- Posted by kach on January 12, AD 2007 @ 2:29 AM
- It's Friday again, and time for a new poll. This week, tell us how you find the walkthroughs on the site. We are still accumulating walkthroughs; they vary from general outlines to the detailed year-by-year descriptions I've been writing. What we need to know, is how useful are they? If you want to tell us how to improve them, please post your suggestions in the Game Help forum.
Last week we asked what you exported in your cities.
Mass-export cheap stuff like food and raw materials (3)
Sell mainly weapons and armour (8)
Export mostly basic goods (11)
I prefer selling more luxury goods (26)
No preference (15)
Just export everything (39)
It seems that most of us find trade a good source of income, with 72% either selling everything, or concentrating on the higher priced luxury goods, weapons and armour.
For the results from our past polls, click here.
- Another Walkthrough for Alexandria
- Posted by Duan Xuan on January 10, AD 2007 @ 6:51 PM
- We have yet another walkthrough for the famous historical city Alexandria. In this walkthrough, Kach gives a year-by-year account of her experience building this city. With so little arable land on this desert map, some of you may find Alexandria to be a problem, so do give this walkthrough a read. Click here to see it.
- New Viminacium Walkthrough
- Posted by Duan Xuan on January 8, AD 2007 @ 12:21 AM
- There is now a new walkthrough for the first assignment in the economic Empire campaign - Viminacium. It's written by Cherub Kach and includes a very detailed description of her attempt at this map. Read this together with mouse's walkthrough if you're having problems in Viminacium!
- Poll Updated
- Posted by Duan Xuan on January 5, AD 2007 @ 4:39 AM
- The weekend approaches (woohoo!), and this also means that we've got a new poll up. New year, new poll. Export revenues are a major source of income. There are many export options, but what do you usually sell? Come vote and tell us!
Last week, we asked you if you donate your personal savings to your city, and if not, why. Let's take a look at the results:
Yes, to get past a crisis (73)
No, never needed to (25)
No, I never have enough personal savings to make it worthwhile (7)
No, I use my personal savings for gifts to Caesar (27)
I didn't know I could do that (9)
It is clear that for the majority of us, drawing a salary pays off sometimes. For those who are still unaware that you can donate your savings to your city, here's how to do it, and it's really easy. Just pay a visit to your Imperial Advisor and click on "Donate to City". Set the amount of funds you would like to transfer to the city's treasury, then click on Donate.
For the results from our past polls, click here.
- Posted by kach on January 3, AD 2007 @ 12:29 AM
- Anaxamenes, who gave us Betriacum, has produced another custom scenario, Dyrrhachium. I haven't played this one myself, but I suspect it may involve the military again. You can read a about the scenario in this thread on the TM forums. It is sure to be worth a try!
- Season VII
- Posted by kach on January 1, AD 2007 @ 9:55 PM
- Season VII of Caesar's Challenge has finished and the names of the medal winners will be familiar. Alea and Razonasez each won two gold, mitret won the 'most denarii' category, and Grumpus won the 'time' trial'.
In the Empire, BRE III is still the leader and now has over 230,000 population.
Check out Caesar IV Online here.