News Archives - January 2008
- New Poll
- Posted by kach on January 30, AD 2008 @ 3:09 AM
- Well it's not quite February yet, but HeavenGames needs your feedback. Tell us what you like best - what do you consider the most important feature of this site?
Our last poll question was: Do you train your cohorts?
I don't build forts (16)
No, I just rely on Mars' blessing (12)
Yes, I use a drill yard (68)
Yes, I use more than one drill yard (42)
I don't bother with training (11)
Drill yards are definitely the way to go, and if you're really serious, use more than one.
See all previous poll results here.
- New Season
- Posted by kach on January 28, AD 2008 @ 1:50 PM
- Season XXXV has finished. The winners were garra8, ivrunafowl, Cleramos, chrilla and charles (two firsts). charles won the Hippo Regius high population scenario with a population of 32,000, which is the highest recorded for this city in Caesar's Challenge. The record for the Empire is 46,052 held by toycivic, currently the Empire's top governor.
The maps for season Season XXXVI are Alexandria and Carthago (high score), Antiochia and Colonia Agrippina (high population), Caesarea (time trial), and Londinium (most denarii). The time trial is still open; there are no entries yet. The best time for this scenario is 1 year and 1 month; this score by Boudica in Season IX has never been equalled. Can you do it?
- Colonia Agrippina Walkthrough
- Posted by kach on January 27, AD 2008 @ 5:43 PM
- The walkthrough for Colonia Agrippina, the final military scenario, is now available. Pecunia won this before the German tribes invaded, with nine legions in total, none with much training. The compact city layout with eight grand mansions is worth a look too.
If you want to hone your defensive skills, load up the save and play on for another year!
- New CBC Contest
- Posted by kach on January 26, AD 2008 @ 3:51 PM
- The latest C4 contest at CBC is a new scenario in the 'beauty' series from Hieronymus and aramann. This one is called Arabian Bizarre, which sounds promising.
Once again, there are three difficulty levels, hard, easy and novice, and novice players are allowed to discuss strategy and ask the designers for help.
If you haven't experienced a 'beauty' scenario before, you might like to try Ex Decorum Veritas, Pulchritudo Vincit or The Dark Pool to see what it's all about.
- Aisle of Plenty
- Posted by kach on January 24, AD 2008 @ 3:19 AM
- The CBC contest Aisle of Plenty has finished. The winners were Dalan (hard), Hieronymus (easy), and Krisius in the novice section. Check out the results and the strategy discussion. Could you have made a million denarii in just over 3 years?
- New City Planner
- Posted by kach on January 21, AD 2008 @ 3:30 PM
- We have a new city planning spreadsheet from NorWiking in the downloads. All ledhead's original information is there (building costs, labour requirements, housing evolution information), but NorWiking has added many new features:
Housing blocks with auto-calculation of food and goods consumed
The import/export sheet populates automatically when you select a career scenario
Production figures alter with god bonuses
You wouldn't want to design your city without it!
- Caesar IV Online
- Posted by kach on January 15, AD 2008 @ 5:14 PM
- Season XXXV has started. The new maps are Argos, Cyrene, Emerita Augusta, Hippo Regius, Tarraco and Viminacium.
Medals were awarded for Season XXXIII, but have not yet been awarded for Season XXXIV. However, the winners were charles (two firsts), chrilla (two firsts), specialeditions and ivrunafowl. chrilla has now won the last six Mediolanum (high population) contests.
- Tarsus Walkthrough
- Posted by kach on January 13, AD 2008 @ 2:42 PM
- Pecunia has battled the Parthians in Tarsus and won. So, if you need a little help on where to place the housing, or how many legions to build, check out the walkthrough and download the saved game here.
- January Poll
- Posted by kach on January 6, AD 2008 @ 2:16 PM
- The new poll question is : Do you train your cohorts?
Last month the poll question was: Have you ever held a Festival of Mercury?
Yes, I think so (37)
Maybe, I can't remember (22)
Why would I want to? (45)
I used to be in the majority, ignoring festivals, until I read this paragraph in the Prima Strategy Guide:
If your finances are low, hold a Festival of Mercury. This is the one festival you should hold frequently. If you've got a gold mine and an exotic goods market, go for it - you can always use more money!
Go here to see all poll results.
- Season XXXIV
- Posted by kach on January 4, AD 2008 @ 1:17 PM
- The maps for Season XXXIV are available. This season we have Djedu and Narbo (high score), Emerita Augusta (time trial), Hippo Regius and Mediolanum (high population) and Narona (most denarii). chrilla has already taken out first place in the time trial.