News Archives - December 2007
- Caesar's Challenge
- Posted by kach on December 31, AD 2007 @ 10:45 PM
- Season XXXIII has finished. No medals have been awarded and Season XXXIV has not yet started. Perhaps it's something to do with the New Year holiday.
The winners for Season XXXIII were ivrunafowl, jennywill, GrosseChris and charles, who won both high score maps, Londinium and Tarsus, and Caesarea (high population). The highest population recorded in Caesar's Challenge for the Caesarea map is 40,770, scored by vp26 in Season XX. This was achieved in 19 years with a debt of over 76,000 denarii.
Happy New Year to all!
- Pompeii Red
- Posted by kach on December 24, AD 2007 @ 5:44 PM
- 'Rosso Pompeiano' or 'Pompeii Red' is the colour found on the walls of houses in Pompeii, discovered when the city was first excavated in the 18th century. This is also the name of the latest exhibition at the Roman National Museum. The frescoes in the exhibit are from buildings in Pompeii and Herculaneum, and depict mythical scenes and scenes of Roman life. You can see a selection of the frescoes, restored to revive the original colours, here.
- New Sandbox Scenarios
- Posted by kach on December 23, AD 2007 @ 4:00 AM
- Angrod has uploaded sandbox versions of his latest custom scenarios. These are Colonia Lindensium, a sandbox version of The Dark Pool, and Eboracum in Snow, a sandbox version of Twelve Days. There may be no invasions, no requests and no complex plot to be unravelled, but you won't find these scenarios too tame.
You should note, however, that the Governor of Britannia has his own rules about the provision of services - some facilities will only be permitted when your city is large enough. Good luck!
- C4 Online
- Posted by kach on December 17, AD 2007 @ 3:43 PM
- Season XXXIII has started. The maps this season are Alexandria (time trial), Antiochia and Caesarea (high population), Ephesus (most denarii), Londinium and Tarsus (high score).
No medals have been awarded for Season XXXII, but the winners were Admiralcatticus (Colonia Agrippina - high population), pwong (Antiochia - high population), chrilla (Alexandria - time trial and Londinium - most denarii), and charles (Caesarea and Carthago - high score).
The benchmark for the Caesarea high score contest was set during season V by Razonasez with a score of 13,128 played for an amazing 114 years.
toycivic remains the leader in the empire.
- New Job Openings at HeavenGames!
- Posted by kach on December 15, AD 2007 @ 2:14 AM
- With all of the changes at HeavenGames, several have opened up! A job at HeavenGames has great benefits in addition to the resume-building experience it offers, including:
- Assistance in job/internship placement in the gaming industry.
- Possible credit for those in university.
- Personal websites (clouds) for all staff at no charge.
- Possible access to game alphas/betas.
The current job openings are:
- Marketing/PR Department Head
- Art Department Head
- Graphics Designer
- Website Designer
- HG Main News Editor
Head to the the help wanted page for detailed job descriptions and please contact the CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested in any of these positions!
- Assistance in job/internship placement in the gaming industry.
- Editor Tutorial, Part 4
- Posted by kach on December 14, AD 2007 @ 2:51 PM
- Part four of the editor tutorial is now available and covers orders and requests, miscellaneous settings and victory conditions.
This completes the guide to the actual editor, but Pecunia will not be leaving it there. Further topics will be the XML file, editing DDS files and scripting.
If you have any comments or questions, post them here.
- New Downloads
- Posted by kach on December 13, AD 2007 @ 2:30 AM
There have been three new download submissions in the last week. The first is a new walkthrough for Argos (Empire 1, military) from Peppo (in both Italian and English); the second is the completed city for Twelve Days from ivrunafowl; the last is my version of Mons Argaeus. If you are stuck in any of theses scenarios, these downloads may be worth a look.
- Would You Like to Make a Million?
- Posted by kach on December 10, AD 2007 @ 1:02 AM
- That's one million denarii. Goonsquad's new C4 contest at CBC will give you a chance. It is called Aisle of Plenty, and when you see the map you'll know why. Players from down under (especially Sydney) will get a laugh from the Empire map too.
The contest has three difficulty levels, hard, easy and a 'novice' level for new players and players who have never placed in the top three of a CBC contest, or Caesar's Challenge. Novice players are allowed to discuss strategy and even ask the designers for help! If you haven't played a contest before, now could be the time to start.
You can find the contest download page here, the contest thread here, and the novice strategy thread here. Enjoy this one.
- A Festive Poll
- Posted by kach on December 7, AD 2007 @ 1:46 PM
- Do you hold festivals? More specifically, have you ever held a festival to Mercury?
Last month the poll question was: Which climate do you prefer?
Southern Europe (Roma, Caralis, Tarraco) (56)
Northern Europe (Londinium, Lugdunum) (47)
Asia (Viminacium, Nicomedia, Ulpia Traiana) (10)
North Africa (Carthago, Hippo Regius, Tingis) (14)
Desert (Caesarea, Antiochia) (12)
I don't have a favourite (25)
It's easy to see that Europe is the favourite - maybe because there's too much chance of fire in North Africa or Desert scenarios.
You can see these results and the results of all previous polls here.
- Walkthrough with a Difference
- Posted by kach on December 5, AD 2007 @ 1:28 PM
- Parlate italiano? Do you speak Italian?
Peppo has submitted a new walkthrough for Viminacium (Empire 1, economic). This is in both Italian and English, and so is doubly useful. You can read the walkthrough and download the file here.
- 12 Days
- Posted by kach on December 4, AD 2007 @ 3:37 AM
Angrod (Hieronymus) has teamed up with aramann to create our latest custom scenario. This one has a holiday theme and comes with an optional music file to help set the mood. There are sure to be a few surprises:
There is a further complication in all of this, in the shape of one Seutonius Paulinus Grinch, rumored to be the illegitimate son of Julia Drusilla, daughter of Caligula. He very much desired this posting you now have - but, having widely gained a reputation for being a pompous ass, humorless as a chicken, he has now been appointed Inspector of Cities by the Governor of Britannia. Seutonius Paulinus Grinch promises to take a very close interest in how your city is doing, and you may expect him to delight in offering you many "helpful" suggestions (and obstacles) along the way.
Download the scenario here, and the optional music file here.
- C4 Online - New Season
- Posted by kach on December 3, AD 2007 @ 3:24 AM
- Season XXXI of Caesar's Challenge has finished. The winners were clayto (Djedu - highscore), Rnett (Emerita Augusta - time trial), GrosseChris (Hippo Regius - high population), chrilla (Mediolanum - high population), charles (Narbo - high score) and Biggsy (Narona - most denarii). Rnett, chrilla and charles won the same maps in Season XXIX.
The maps for the new season are the same as Season XXIII - Caesarea and Carthago (high score), Alexandria (time trial), Antiochia and Colonia Agrippina (high population) and Londinium (most denarii).