News Archives - August 2007
- Posted by kach on August 30, AD 2007 @ 4:40 AM
- We have a new custom scenario from GaiusHorus - Scalopina. The goal of this mini-contest is to build 12 large estates, and then to survive for three years without them devolving. There is a discussion of the scenario (in German) on the Caesar4.de forums here, and the results can be found here.
- Caesar IV Online
- Posted by kach on August 28, AD 2007 @ 1:38 AM
- Season XXV of Caesar's Challenge has now started. Gold medals for Season XXIV went to DA GUV, GrosseChris, charles, Admiralcatticus, and mitret who scored gold medals for Alexandria and Ephesus (with 39 grand mansions).
PantherX remains unbeaten in the Empire.
- HeavenGames announces StarCraft 2 Heaven!
- Posted by kach on August 27, AD 2007 @ 12:52 AM
- HeavenGames (heavengames.com), the popular network of gaming fansites, has opened its latest chapter with which to bring the real-time strategy world yet another hallmark in game information and community: StarCraft 2 Heaven. Covering the highly anticipated game, StarCraft 2 Heaven promises to offer up-to-date content, the latest news, and an integrated and active community.
StarCraft 2 Heaven (starcraft2.heavengames.com) launched on August 25th, 2007 and already provides a wealth of coverage, including a preview from BlizzCon, a gallery of artwork and screenshots, news, game information, and discussion forums. Few other sites provide such various and complete content as StarCraft 2 Heaven!
- Mummy Found
- Posted by kach on August 26, AD 2007 @ 6:41 PM
Did you know there was a mummy locked away in Caesar IV? The mummy has been found at last.
Read the details in this thread on the Tilted Mill forums.
If you you want to see the mummy yourself, the instructions are here.
- Season XXIV
- Posted by kach on August 17, AD 2007 @ 4:39 PM
- The maps for Season XXIV of Caesar's Challenge are now available. This season the time trail is Alexandria again; the other maps are Antiochia and Caesarea (high population), Londinium and Tarsus (high score), and Ephesus (most denarii).
The medals for Season XXIII have been awarded. Gold medals went to charles (two), DA GUV (two), Rnett and mitret.
PantherX still leads in the Empire.
- HeavenGames Official Blog: The First Step
- Posted by Pecunia on August 15, AD 2007 @ 12:01 AM
- Source: The HG Blog
So it's been a little while since my last update. It's mostly because we're still hard at work figuring out the big picture for HeavenGames' future; it's a daunting job but I like what’s being hammered out. Anyway, in this article I'm going to discuss the two biggest problems that I'd like to get fixed before any grand scheming…and their solutions. Solutions are good.
Problem 1: HeavenGames current staff system is not what HeavenGames needs
While everyone works as hard as possible, the current staff system is simply not enough for what HeavenGames needs. Becoming staff is a big ordeal at HeavenGames, largely because of the daunting committment on both sides...
Solution: Reorganize the staff system
Reorganizing the staff system will help our current staff operate more efficiently. First, we will make sure that all of the owners are active at HeavenGames. Next, Seraphs will be required to heavily advertise job openings to ensure consistent service and organization across the network. Finally, we will work to make a job at HeavenGames more attractive by giving benefits such as possible college credit and aid in getting a job in the gaming industry...(Read more!)
- Hadrian at Sagalassos
- Posted by kach on August 10, AD 2007 @ 5:32 AM
- Pieces of a giant statue of Hadrian, including the exquisitely carved head, have been discovered amid the ruins of a Roman bathhouse at Sagalassos in south-central Turkey. The statue would have stood four to five metres high originally - the one foot found so far is .8 metres (31 inches) long. The excavation director has described the find as one of the most beautiful portraits of Hadrian ever found.
Read the BBC report here, or the article from Archaeology here.
- C4 Scenario Checker
- Posted by kach on August 7, AD 2007 @ 5:15 PM
- The C4ScenarioChecker is the latest Caesar IV tool from Angel Pecunia. If you design custom scenarios, you won't want to be without this utility.
When you load a scenario, it will check for these things among others:
- factories that are missing raw materials
- missing natural resources such as clay pits and iron mines
- resources that are available but can never be used
- resources that can be exported but are not available
- requests for unavailable goods
- scenario goals that cannot be achieved, including building and resource goals, and prosperity and culture rating goals
- Another New Custom Scenario
- Posted by kach on August 6, AD 2007 @ 4:03 PM
- GaiusHorus from citybuilders.de has uploaded another tough scenario, Dalminium. This is the second scenario from the European C4 contest, and it doesn't sound easy. If I have it right, the goals are maximum ratings and maximum cash, with minimum unemployment, and survive 25 years. You can find a little more background information in the German Caesar IV competition forum here.
Download the scenario here.
- New Custom Scenario
- Posted by kach on August 5, AD 2007 @ 3:58 AM
- Ex Decorum Veritas is the latest scenario from Angrod (Hieronymus). It sounds a little unusual:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say, but when Caligula is the beholder there is no use arguing the point. He has devised a complex scheme for measuring your city's beauty, and has sent his advisor here to rate it.
You can download it here, or if you prefer, there is a sandbox version, Patavium.
- Poll Update
- Posted by kach on August 3, AD 2007 @ 5:32 PM
- Our last poll asked: Do you play with the advisors' speech turned off?
How do I do that? (27)
For those who don't know, you can toggle the speech on and off with the round button in the centre of the menu panel at the bottom of the advisors screen.
The poll will start changing monthly from now on; I'm getting low on ideas. The question for August is: What is you favourite weather?
Previous poll results are here.
- Season XXIII
- Posted by kach on August 3, AD 2007 @ 2:33 AM
- The servers are back up, and Season XXIII has finally started. The maps this season are almost the same as Season XXI; they are Alexandria (time trail), Caesarea and Carthago (high score), Antiochia and Colonia Agrippina (high population) and Londinium (most denarii).
- Official HeavenGames CEO Blog Opens
- Posted by Socvazius on August 2, AD 2007 @ 1:55 PM
- Source: The HG Blog
(I'm pensive about so many things in this photo)
My name is Socvazius; I'm the new CEO of HG, but I've been around for quite a long time. I started visiting HG in late 1997 (at age 11), joined the staff in 2000 (my first article, a masterpiece by any standard), joined the executive board in 2003 (I have nothing to say here but I wanted to add a parenthesis for consistency), and became owner in 2005 (when I turned 18). Over all that time, I have been webmaster of 6 Heavens and have done about every possible job.
Offline, I go by the name Sergio Prado and I study history at Harvard University in Boston, Massachusetts. I am currently working in marketing at Vivendi Universal on Empire Earth III and World in Conflict. I love philosophy, history, physics and politics among other things, and to compensate for my nerdy tendencies I've been known to karate it up as well as do all the other things that college students do. Oh yes.
Anyway, this is my blog! While I will surely use this blog for my own narcissistic ramblings, I intend it to be used mostly to keep everyone up to date on what's going on in HeavenGames, especially the stuff that pertains to my job: management, PR, and all the other fun parts of a gaming website. In fact, I do have some news that you guys might be interested in. For the past couple months the owners have been discussing a major revamp of how HG operates, including its staff management and exactly what services it will provide to the community. We're zeroing in on a finalized plan, so keep your eyes peeled for a freakin huge article that'll be way too long to be worth reading!
Until the next post my friends,
- HeavenGames Appoints Sergio Prado as new CEO
- Posted by Socvazius on August 2, AD 2007 @ 1:55 PM
- LOMBARD, IL - HeavenGames LLC, an internet leader in strategy fansites, today announced it has appointed Sergio "Socvazius" Prado to the position of Chief Executive Officer, effective July 28, 2007. Mr. Prado, a driven executive with considerable experience in the gaming industry, has worked at HeavenGames for 7 years in addition to Vivendi Universal's brand marketing department. He currently is a college junior at Harvard University.
Prior to this appointment at HeavenGames, Mr. Prado served as the company's Chief Content Officer on the executive board, ensuring the professional quality of content present across the network. He also headed six of its sites: for Age of Empires III, Age of Mythology, Age of Kings, Age of Empires, Rome: Total War, and Cossacks. During his employ at Vivendi Universal, Mr. Prado worked to market World in Conflict and Empire Earth III, two of the biggest strategy titles of 2007.
Tom Mescher, the exiting CEO, served as HeavenGames' leader since its incorporation in October of 2000. He is moving on to continue his career in the IT industry.
ABOUT HEAVENGAMES, LLC
HeavenGames LLC (http://www.heavengames.com), based in Lombard, Illinois, is a privately owned web-content publisher geared towards the creation of special-interest sites for Real-Time Strategy and City-Builder games. Its sites, content, vast amounts of resources, as well as a dedicated staff & management team make HeavenGames' sites recognized by developers and press alike as one of the premier destinations for gamers worldwide.
- Caesar IV Online
- Posted by kach on August 2, AD 2007 @ 3:18 AM
- Season XXII of Caesar's Challenge finished three days ago. It looks like the winners were jlchristian , chrilla (two), Rnett and mitret, but we can't be sure because the servers have been down since the 29th.
We missed reporting the results for Season XXI; the winners were jlchristian (two), charles, baerbi25, and MarinaRae.
PantherX and Dalan are the leaders in the Empire.