Starting a scenario
When you start creating a scenario, you basically have two options:
- Base your scenario on an existing one
- Create a new scenario from scratch
If you haven’t worked with the editor before, the first choice will be the most easy one to get your feet wet.
Modifying an existing scenario
Of course, when you wish to modify an existing scenario, you first have to decide on which scenario. Once you’ve made your choice, start the editor:
- In the main menu, go to Tools and select “Edit Scenario”.
- Select the scenario on which you wish to base your new scenario
- Wait until it’s loaded
If the scenario you wish to modify is not in the list of scenarios, it is most likely a scenario that was shipped with the game which you haven’t completed yet. To get around this problem, do the following:
- Load another scenario, it doesn’t matter which one
- From the editor’s main menu (accessible from the “X”-like button on the top right of the screen), choose “Edit”
- Load the scenario you weren’t able to select before
Starting a scenario from scratch
Starting a new scenario is done by clicking “Create Scenarios” from the Tools menu.
Saving your scenario
To save your new scenario for the first time, you have to take some extra steps to ensure that the terrain textures are properly saved:
- Go to the editor’s main menu (accessible from the “X”-like button in the top right corner of the screen), and choose “Save”
- Give your scenario a name and save it
- Go to the Terrain tab, the third one from the top with the letter T on it
- Click on the button “Save Textures” on that tab to create a set of DDS textures for your game
Exiting the editor
There is a small hassle when exiting the scenario editor. When you select “Exit” from the menu, the editor asks you whether you wish to save the scenario. If you select “yes”, you’ll be able to save your scenario, but afterwards you’ll be back in the editor again. If you attempt to exit again, you’ll again be prompted to save your scenario.
Only when you select “no”, you’ll go back to the Caesar IV main menu from which you can exit the game.